Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Nicked Finger:

I look around at what brushed up against my legs and it is a seal.  The seal disappears out of sight under water diving for a lobster pot and I watch it through the deep murky waters as the seal seems to attempt lifting the latch to the lobster pot within which was a lobster or two amidst a school of minnows all around the trap.  The seal manages a bite at several of the minnows escaping underneath the wake swells rippling overhead.  I chortle and choke: my snorkel filling with water from a rogue swell.

I tread water removing my mask emptying it of water through the gap at the bags under my eyes from the previous night of drinking beer.  The cold water of the Atlantic cures the hangover I have with a rush of healing head pangs.  I replace my mask treading water and put the snorkel piece back into my mouth glad to not have drowned.

I look towards my friend on shore and grab hold of the boogie board that my dog who hates swimming lays on bobbing with each wake swell in the bay from boats not obeying the wake law.  Russ, the dog, looks around at me from his boogie board as I peer out of the water through my mask at him and grab his tail to hold him steady on the board.

(The boogie board that I have is a mystery as to how it came into my possession when I put out the recycling one day a few years back.  I had put out a wheel barrow that I did not mean to have taken, but what appeared was a lot less value in price than a wheel barrow: it was a boogie board with the indelible inscription "David" and a star of David over the "i").

Needless to say: the seal feels slimy against my legs and disappears when I tread water adjusting my mask and I continue snorkelling with my blue merle dog on the orange boogie board under a cerulean sky beaming with sun rays that penetrates to the Casco Bay bottom in shallower parts.

I swim towards the beach line and hear people yelling on the beach through the muffle of my ears submerged underwater.  I raise my head and tread water to hear and see the people and my friend on the beach yelling:

"Shark! Shark!"

Not believing what I am hearing as they continue to call out to me in the middle of the strait between Cutter Rock and the beach on a high tide at the Eastern Promenade with me swimming and my dog on the boogie board bobbing up and down over boat wakes, I look around and see nothing: no fins.

Then, a strike! 

The boogie board is under water and my pinkie finger tip is nicked by a shark's teeth as my dog escapes certain death jumping over the shark's dorsal and though the dog does not like swimming: he swims into shore making it to my friend and people on shore yelling at me to get out of the water. 

The boogie board, as I can see from the distorted vision I have of foamy water with a thrashing shark, is stuck in the shark's teeth.  I start to swim away as the shark is wrestling with the boogie board in his teeth trying to remain submerged while the board is floaty.

I swim to shore, join my friend and some ten people and watch as the shark flounders with the boogie board in his teeth ripping the board in several pieces then diving and disappearing into the ocean depths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment